Thursday, January 10, 2008

Extreme Beers

Here's an article from the New York Times on "Extreme Beers." These people went into the tasting with bias and came out understanding what it was all about. It's too bad others out there aren't as interested in this type of thing.

I just got done bitching in a post on Ratebeer.com about how the top 20 beers are all Stouts, rare, or super high in alcohol content. I asked everyone there to think about the style of beer that they are drinking. My main point being that if Budweiser is "THE GREAT AMERICAN LAGER" then Budweiser are kidding themselves. Leinenkugels beats the shit out of that rice-brewed beer any day of the week. I still stand by the 4.5/5.0 overall rating I gave that beer back in '04. I had some the other day and thought, "After all the really good beer I've drank in the past two years, this beer is still the best in its class."

So yeah, Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout is great, its neat, its rare, and its #3 on the 2007 Ratebeer list of Best in the World. But that Magic Hat #9 is a great beer as well, and I didn't see it in the Top 20. But then, its only about 5% alcohol, kind of yellow looking, and not "over the top" except for how it tastes.

No comments: